Dates of next intensive courses:
29 January — 4 February
19 February — 23 February
4 June — 8 June
Opportunity to learn historical painting technique in a relaxed atmosphere. A chance to find new ideas and discover new style for practising artists. A chance to find your creative self for beginners. Join the community of like minded people. Find stillness and quietness. Work with your hands and quiet your mind.
Monday – Friday
10:30 — 15:30pm
half an hour lunch break
This 5 day intensive workshop is designed for students of all abilities, no previous experience is required.
The aim of the course is to help you understand the tradition of icon painting through studying masterpieces, and through their inspiration to create your own icon.
Over 5 days of intensive work students will go through all stages of icon painting which will be a good introduction and experience for using egg tempera technique as well.
Stages of work include:
1. Sketching and designing. Students can use images of icons provided as an inspiration or just alter an original image slightly. Students are encouraged to be creative and listen to their instincts.
2. Transferring finished drawings onto a panel covered with layers of gesso. Panels are provided and ready for students to use as it takes at least 2 days to prepare them. (It is possible to have an additional tuition on making panels on a request).
3. Redrawing with paint. At this stage students will start learning how to make paints using egg yolk and dry pigments.
4. Once all surfaces are covered with enough layers of ground we can start building shapes using lights. In icon painting we don’t build shapes with shadows.
5. Gilding – for students who would like to try gilding. We would normally cover small surface using schlagmetal leafs which is not a real gold leaf. It is an excellent method for beginners as gold leaf is extremely thin and difficult to work with. We will use oil gilding.
6. Applying final lights and highlights. Finishing.
7. It is recommended to wait at least few weeks before varnishing finished icon painted in egg tempera. Students are welcome to arrange a time and date to come back and varnish their paintings.
£255 if you register until 31st March
£310 if you register after 31st March
Non refundable deposit of £100 non refundable deposit required with the registration. Remaining balance to be paid before the course starts. This would be refunded only if there are no spaces left.
Feel free to contact Basia with any questions. You can come to the St Margaret’s House to talk if you like. Please contact me before to arrange that.